[Building Sakai] K1 1.0.12: proposed kernel release (please review)

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Fri Oct 9 10:08:38 PDT 2009

I am seeking comment on my proposal to release K1 1.0.12 (target date
Monday 12 Oct 2009).  There are currently 16 fixes in the 1.0.x branch
that I would like to leverage in the upcoming 2.6.1 release (links to
filters below) as well as the 2.6.x branch.  If not appropriate for
2.6.1 I'd like to put out 1.0.12 and use it as the initial K1 version
supporting 2.6.2 (e.g. bind 2.6.x to it).

K1 1.0.12 closed issues (merged) (n=16)
	http://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12125

	KNL issues linked to SAK issues
	KNL-229 [cloned from SAK-16680]
	KNL-219 SAK-7004 [closed, won't fix], SAK-16623 [duplicate]
	KNL-175 [relates to SAK-11268 Stale Presence records need to be
cleaned up occasionally]
	KNL-145 [cloned from SAK-13100]

I recommend that we restrict the release to these 16 fixes; there are
four other issues that could be merged to 1.0.x but I am currently of
the opinion that they should be bumped to a future maintenance release
or excluded entirely from 1.0.x.  The additional candidates include:

Closed Issues:

KNL-210 "Create variant of getResourcesOfType that restricts query to
specific site/contexts."

This fix introduces a CHS API change and perhaps is not appropriate
for 1.0.x releases.

Resolved Issues:

KNL-253 "Add smtp authentication and TLS to the kernel email component."

This fix is linked to KNL-283 "Add SSL connection capabilities to
Email service."  David Horwitz is of the opinion that neither of these
fixes have been tested sufficiently for inclusion in K1 1.0.12.

KNL-237 "DB2 - User search returns no results"

According to comments, this fix has yet to be verified against Oracle.

Open issue:

KNL-213 BaseResourceEdit return non url-encoded urls  (patch provided)
	http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-213

IU has requested that this issue be addressed, however, the patch has
yet to be applied and David Horwitz is of the opinion that it will
require a good deal of testing before it goes into a release.  KNL-213
relates to SAK-16564 Syllabus gives a 404 when uploading a file with
non-ascii characters; http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-16564

Your judgements would be appreciated.

Anth

_______________________________

K1 1.0.12 closed issues (to merge) (n=1)
	http://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12132

	KNL-210 Kirschner Create variant of getResourcesOfType that restricts
query to specific site/contexts
	SAK-14165 "Portfolio assembly is slow with many completed
Forms"depends on a KNL-210 merge

K1 1.0.x resolved issues (to merge) (n=2)
	http://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12127

	KNL-253 This patch adds smtp authentication and TLS to the kernel
email component.
	KNL-237 DB2 - User search returns no results