[Building Sakai] Java 1.6 for Sakai 2.7

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Fri Oct 9 06:52:49 PDT 2009

I'd like to note that we're just about finished moving our systems
from Java 6 back to Java 5. I'll update the list next week on the
details, because until we've survive Monday I won't be certain that
we've solved our problem. But the reason for the change is performance
problems with the Java 6 GC that we think aren't present in Java 5.
I'm very skeptical that these will be fixed, so I'm currently
expecting that we'll need to stay with Java 5 until GC1 is ready for
production (which it currently is not -- I've tried it).