[Building Sakai] How to send a email?

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 20:30:53 PST 2009

Hi Sam,

Once you have the dependecy setup in your POM, then you can inject the API via your Spring config and a Javabean style setter in your implementation.

in components.xml

<bean id="yourbean">
</bean>

in your impl:
private EmailService emailService;
public void setEmailService(EmailService emailService) {
	this.emailService = emailService;
}

then do something like:
emailService.sendToUsers(receivers, getHeaders(user.getEmail(), subject), formatMessage(subject, message));
to actually send the email.

If any of that is foreign, take a look at the code generated in a sample app via the Sakai App Builder in Eclipse, or take a look at the Programmers Cafe docs in Confluence, there are some code examples.

Make sure you have the SMTP properties setup in sakai.properties too.

cheers,
Steve