[Building Sakai] Transaction manager Rollback Exception

Holladay, Bryan Andrew bahollad at indiana.edu
Tue Nov 24 08:36:49 PST 2009

I'm running into an "org.springframework.transaction.UnexpectedRollbackException: Transaction rolled back because it has been marked as rollback-only" and was wondering if anyone had any expertise in this?  What I believe is happening is I am getting an exception from another call to a different bean.  I handle this exception but the transaction manager sets the transaction to rollback (which seems to be a change in Spring, since it used to just be a warning instead of an exception).  Anyways, looking at the documentation, I thought I could add the exception to the transaction manager's transactionAttributes like:  <prop key="*">PROPAGATION_REQUIRED,+org.sakaiproject.metaobj.shared.model.OspException</prop>  However, this doesn't seem to work.  There are different settings as well other than PROPAGATION_REQUIRED, so I tried PROPAGATION_REQUIRES_NEW which I thought would create a new transaction when the other bean is called, but that didn't seem to work either.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the rollback when another bean throws an exception?

Thanks,
Bryan