[Building Sakai] Gradebook2 and Sakai 2.6.x

James Renfro jlrenfro at ucdavis.edu
Thu Nov 19 09:09:25 PST 2009

[re-posting since sakai-dev kicked this back the first time.]

Hi Kevin,
It is definitely possible to get Gradebook2 working with a Sakai 2.6.x
deployment. RSmart has it running, and I'm working with it locally on my
desktop. Most of the other institutions that are using Gradebook2 are
running 2.5.x afaik.

Not sure which tag you're installing. We're currently running 1.1.3 in
production at UCDavis, and this is our current "recommended" build for all
institutions, but ootb that tag is organized to build against 2.5.x right
now.

Versions 1.1.3, 1.1.4, and 1.1.5 are all the same as far as actual code, and
represent incremental improvements to the build process.

For 2.6.x compatibility I would recommend 1.1.5, which has not yet been cut,
but which will soon be our latest fully QA'd version that has been put
together explicitly to build against 2.6.x -- it will still require patches
to be applied to both the original gradebook module and sam module, which is
unfortunately going to be the case for gb2 in general at least until 2.7.x,
but it should no longer require any patching to the gradebook2 code itself
to run against 2.6.x -- you can run this code currently from our test
branch.

https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/gradebook2/branches/1.1.x-test

We should be cutting 1.1.5 itself in the next week, depending how long the
QA process takes, at which point the code will be at:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/gradebook2/tags/1.1.5

If you're running with auto.ddl off, you will also need to run one or more
of the scripts included in:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/gradebook2/branches/1.1.x-test/client/src/sql/oracle/

For other instructions you may want to consult the 2.6.x install directions,
if you haven't dug them out already (they have been updated in the last few
days to match the current code).

https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/gradebook2/branches/1.1.x-test/sakai/2-6-x/INSTALL.txt

Finally, you may want to tweak the version of 2.6.x for the build... you can
do this by running this script:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/gradebook2/branches/1.1.x-test/setSakaiVersion.sh

Please let me know if you run into any problems,
James