[Building Sakai] *nix shell alias tip

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Tue Nov 17 07:39:25 PST 2009

will at serensoft.com wrote:

> Saves mucho time (and hard drive wear) not having to scan the .svn/ or
> target/ or m2-target/ subdirectories. Very quick!

Thanks to Zach Thomas, I have been using Ack for a while:

http://petdance.com/ack/

It's very handy and runs well. It skips .svn directories
automatically.

Or it did anyway until version 1.88 (current is 1.90) when the
author implemented a plugin system and, according to the
CHANGELOG, it nows runs "about 1/3rd slower than before."

I have been using 1.86:

http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/PETDANCE/ack-1.86/ack-standalone

Rename it to ack, make it executable, and you are set.
Seth