[Building Sakai] Search tool: memory problem in rebuilding indexes.

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Wed Nov 11 02:41:59 PST 2009

Hi,

I believe we saw something similar. There may be a fix in trunk though I don't have a JIRA reference handy. If you search recent JIRAs for Search you may find it, otherwise David Horwitz can tell you more though he's away until mid next week.

Also the POI digesters for OOXML (Office 2007+ docx, xlsx, pptx, etc.) are particularly bad at using memory - digesting content with these digesters _significantly_ increases GC activity.

We haven't yet found a solution to this except to minimize the impact through restricting indexing to a single app server.

This is likely to be an issue in Sakai 3 as well AFAIK, as the same underlying libraries are used.

Regards
Stephen

>>> Angel Nueda Lozano <anueda at asic.upv.es> 2009/11/11 12:02 PM >>>
Hi all.
We are testing the search tool in our 2.6.x instance. We have seen that
while the indexes are builded tomcat process is increasing the size of
memory until it comes to occupy the entire system memory. This occurs
around 200.000 documents processed and thereafter the process becomes
extremely slow.
Has anyone had similar problems? Is it some bug?
Thanks in advance