[Building Sakai] the MIME type of mp3 file stored in resource tool( sakai 2.6)

Kimberly Ma this4it at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 10:41:47 PST 2009

Folks,
Here is the issue, I have a faculty member created a Test in Test/Quizzes,
He has two mp3 files, one stored in rci.rutgers.edu(
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~jcamacho/tst.mp3 )
 another in sakai resource tool(
https://sakai.rutgers.edu/access/content/group/d9055a0e-9bf1-4bf5-ac2a-edf9086a97eb/tst.mp3),
exactly the same mp3 file in two different locations.

He embedded those two files in the question text in two different
questions.   When his student reaches that test page in Internet Explorer
7.0.5. The  first question which has the file stored in rci.rutgers.edu has
no problem to play, however the second one which has the file in sakai
resource prompts IE to find the plugin, and IE could not find the plug in,
so it fails to play. The MIME type of mp3 file in Sakai is set as
audio/mpeg(from resource tool, click on "edit details"). After further
investigation, I found out that MIME type of the mp3 from sakai set as MPEG
LAYER 3 AUDIO, (if you try to play the file and verify what I said, click
the link above.) The one from rci.rutgers.edu is AUDIO MPEG OBJECT.  I guess
he probably needs to install MPEG Layer-3 audio codec in order to play the
file.
 However I need to understand why sakai resource stores mp3 as MPEG LAYER 3
AUDIO. not just AUDIO MPEG. And also because we can't control the client
side browser's setting,the faculty will have a problem when he embeds the
mp3 file stored in sakai resource tool.

Any help will be highly appreciated !

-Kim