[Building Sakai] Site advisor vs Observer?

Maurer, Christopher Wayne chmaurer at iupui.edu
Fri May 29 07:49:23 PDT 2009

My understanding of the differences of the two is kind of like a before and
after approach, is that accurate?
A site advisor is consulted before the save is persisted, while the observer
is notified after the fact...does that sound right?

If that is true, then so far so good!

My next somewhat related question is that I thought that the observer stuff
would happen in a separate thread, but is seems that it doesn¹t...should it?

I ask because of some information gathered during profiling.  So, the
scenario starts with some custom code that ultimately does a
SiteService.save.  As that thing does what it does, you can see during
profiling that the save happens, then the event gets posted, the observers
pick up the event and then do whatever it is that they do.  All the while,
our operation still hasn¹t ³completed² because we¹re waiting on all the
observers to finish up.  Is this expected behavior?  Just curious more than
anything!

Chris