[Building Sakai] [Building Sak ai] New component-new dependency-Please hel p!

Zach A. Thomas zach at aeroplanesoftware.com
Fri May 22 07:16:48 PDT 2009

On May 22, 2009, at 8:26 AM, m_yaghmaie at modares.ac.ir wrote:

> I was wondering whether my message was ignored or no body in this
> group has any idea about it. I really really need help. My thesis
> project is stoped :(
The way this list works is that someone will answer if they have some
idea how to help you. If you don't hear anything back, you should
reframe your question or bring more information for us to consider.

> The thing is that I am trying to make Sakai an adaptive learning
> environment. So I developed an AI component which will some how
> adapt the output for different learners. Right now I want to filter
> the course material delivered to each learner. As I studied Sakai
> module, this can be done by filtering the output that is generated
> by SiteService. Specifically I have filtered the output of getSite
> and findPage in the implementation of the SiteService by calling
> some methods from my API. That is why SiteService depends on my API
> but I have trouble in defining this dependency.

SiteService should not depend on your API. Once you go down this road,
you will eventually have to customize practically everything in Sakai.

The shortest path to adaptive behavior in Sakai is to write a new tool
that exhibits the behavior. As Steve said, you can then intercept any
calls to any Sakai service and make changes as you need.

If you really want SiteService with different behavior, you can try
writing a new class that implements the SiteService interface, and
delegate to the "real" SiteService for anything that doesn't need to
behave differently. This is the Decorator pattern.

good luck,
Zach Thomas
Owner, Aeroplane Software LLC
http://aeroplanesoftware.com