[Building Sakai] Chat improvement: SAK-16191 (review invited)

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Sat May 9 03:01:45 PDT 2009

Hi all,

In the ongoing struggle between good and evil, light and dark, etc. we have struck another blow against the diabolical forces of iframes and stateful JSF (and you thought I meant Blackboard!) by refactoring chat to use an EB REST provider for posting new messages via javascript (removing an internal iframe) rather than post to a JSF tool URL:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/chat/branches/SAK-16191/

We've had this in production for a day and it's bumped chat from being our top bug producer (IndexOutOfBoundsExceptions) to being like any other well behaved tool.

If anyone would like to review this before we merge it to trunk (particularly for any cross-browser, javascript or accessibility issues), here are the main changes:

http://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn/chat/branches/SAK-16191/chat-tool/tool/src/webapp/js/chatscript.js?r1=61878&r2=HEAD

http://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn/chat/branches/SAK-16191/chat-tool/tool/src/webapp/jsp/room.jsp?r1=61878&r2=62031

http://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn/chat/branches/SAK-16191/chat-tool/tool/src/webapp/jsp/roomMonitor.jspf?r1=61878&r2=HEAD

Please add comments to the JIRA:

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/jira/browse/SAK-16191

Cheers
Stephen

Stephen Marquard, Learning Technologies Co-ordinator
Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za
Email/IM/XMPP: stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Phone: +27-21-650-5037 Cell: +27-83-500-5290