[Building Sakai] [WG: I18N & L10N] i18n BOF - stockholm

Ian Boston ian at caret.cam.ac.uk
Fri May 8 07:43:54 PDT 2009

I always thought there was a similar calculation you could do with
huge commercial software vendors.

Add up the amount of time wasted by everyone using their product. If
it was significantly less than their profit, it was worth using the
product, otherwise not.

On the editing i18n live, that absolutely no problem with Sakai3 as I
am certain Nico will tell you, nothing is compiled, he would not have
it any other way.

And as for editing the installation configuration live, we are using a
OSGi Declaratively Managed service that has a dictionary of
properties. There is already a UI (with documentation on each
property) provided by Felix and OSGi. The only part we need to
propagate appropriate changes to other app server nodes in the
cluster. The intention is to write the configuration file to JCR, and
watch that file on all nodes.

You will also be able as admin, webdav mount that subtree and edit the
config in vi, notepad or whatever you like.... live.

Services that use the configuration have a responsibility to listen
for changes and act on them *without* requiring a restart. Obviously
there are some configuration setting that will need a restart, but
many don't.

Ian