[Building Sakai] java 6

Steve Swinsburg s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed May 6 15:23:14 PDT 2009

Hi Charles,

Did you have trouble building Sakai under Java 1.6 without the extra
property? I've been building various versions of Sakai under 1.6 for a
few weeks without the property set just fine. Whereabouts in Sakai is
the issue?

This property was true by default in Java 1.5, but has been disabled
for 1.6. Sun have apparently said they are not going to address this
and that code should be fixed to deal with it, so if we can find where
it needs to be done we can get on to it.

Workarounds:

1) Add -Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true for libraries we
need that are broken.

2) Change loader.loadClass( name ) to Class.forName( name, false,
loader ) for our internal code.

ref: http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6434149

cheers,
Steve