[Building Sakai] Merge Patch to Sakai Provider

Steve Swinsburg s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue May 5 00:46:24 PDT 2009

Hi,

Ok firstly you should read up on how the patch command works as it
will help you in the future - blindly patching code isn't a good idea,
especially if it fails somewhere. But here's the steps:
1. Get patch, remember where you save it.
2. cd SAKAI-SRC/providers (ie your Sakai source code directory then
the providers directory)
3. Simulate the patch in case we get errors:
	patch -p0 --dry-run < /path/to/the/patch

It will output something like this:
patching file component/src/webapp/WEB-INF/jldap-beans.xml
Hunk #1 succeeded at 167 (offset -36 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 185 (offset -36 lines).
patching file jldap/README_JLDAP.txt
patching file jldap/src/test/edu/amc/sakai/user/
StringUserTypeMapperTest.java
patching file jldap/src/test/edu/amc/sakai/user/
EmptyStringUserTypeMapperTest.java
patching file jldap/src/java/edu/amc/sakai/user/
StringUserTypeMapper.java
patching file jldap/src/java/edu/amc/sakai/user/
EmptyStringUserTypeMapper.java

If you have multiple sections of a single file that need to be
patched, you get the Hunks for those files. If you just have one
section for each file then you just get the 'patching file' for that
file.

Since this looks good, lets really do it.

4. Run the patch for real:
	patch -p0 < /patch/to/the/patch

Same output but this time it really did something.

Assuming no errors, lets rebuild:

5. Run 'mvn clean install sakai:deploy' from the providers project.
Build ok?
6. Start tomcat.

Bear in mind that this patch is for the issue you were having where
the users from LDAP were not assigned a user type. This allows you to
set, in jldap-beans.xml, the type for these accounts:
Uncomment the property, set your value, make sure you have a matching !
user.template.TYPE in Sakai (ie !user.type.registered), and rebuild.

<bean id="edu.amc.sakai.user.StringUserTypeMapper"
	class="edu.amc.sakai.user.StringUserTypeMapper"
	singleton="true">

	<!--  property name="userType">
		<value>Registered</value>
	</property -->
</bean>

There was another post about showing provided (ie LDAP) users in the
Admin Users tool, but IIRC it wasn't complete? Might need some work
here.

cheers,
Steve

---