[Building Sakai] SAK-15801: Commenting syntax for conversion scripts

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Tue Mar 31 05:10:43 PDT 2009

Aaron Zeckoski wrote:

> Isn't the -- syntax also compatible with both? Like so:
> -- this is a comment

Yes, it is.

As I said in the JIRA issue itself, this is all about working
around the fact that MySQL doesn't fully support the standard
SQL "--" syntax for comments.

After reading Dru's message about how Oracle treats "/* */"
comments, I think it might be easier just to enforce the

--<SPACE>comment

format for all comments in our SQL files.

In addition, using the above format makes it easy to discard
all of the comments in a file using grep or the likef or
debugging purposes.

Seth