[Building Sakai] 2.6.x pom <version> after 2.6.0 release

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Thu Mar 26 11:04:06 PDT 2009

Opening this conversation up to the dev list for further comments:

Steve--well, in a world were we could use the Maven release plugin
with the whole of Sakai (which does not exist at present; although I
think we can sort out the problem with some project/pom naming
realignments) we could perform releases from the 2.6.x branch as we
do now from K1.  In such a case the release plugin would generate a
2.6.0 tag and then the plugin would increment the pom <version>
number of the 2.6.x branch to 2.6.1-SNAPSHOT and commit the changes
automatically.  Then 2.6.0 artifacts are created and placed in the
repo.  This is how K1 <versioning> works and I expect Ian intends for
K2 to work the same way.   All of this you know so I apologize here
for stating the obvious.

The point I am trying to make above is that the maintenance branch
should be viewed as a SNAPSHOT set of code that by definition is
rather more fluid in nature than a point release (using M2 as a fixed
version number as you recommend obscures this).  Indeed, it is no
longer the case that we (the Foundation) actively advise people to
run their production instances off a maintenance branch.  Our goal
has been to undercut the old adage that friends don't let friends run
Sakai point releases in production by producing reliable maintenance
releases that are produced regularly to a well understood timeline
(the latter still a goal).  We have had a modicum of success here
with the 2.5 maintenance series as I see now that a fair number of
schools are running 2.5.2, 2.5.3 and 2.5.4 in production.  I
recognize that more experienced production houses tend to run off the
maintenance branch but over time I expect this to become the
exception rather than the rule given the number of smaller
institutions that run (and will run) point releases of Sakai.