[Building Sakai] Google Summer of Code

Laura James laura at caret.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 18 14:56:30 PDT 2009

With help from Michael Korcuska and Chuck Severance (for which, many
thanks!), I submitted an application for the Sakai Foundation to be a
mentoring organisation for Google Summer of Code 2009.  And we've been
accepted!

For those of you interested, there's more info about our application
on google here:

http://socghop.appspot.com/org/show/google/gsoc2009/sakai

and about the summer of code in general here:

http://code.google.com/soc/

I'm the admin for Sakai at GSOC so do get in touch if you've any
questions or suggestions.  Also, do tell your students about Sakai
being part of GSOC - it's a great opportunity to get involved with an
open source project and write some genuinely useful code - and if you
can promote our involvement on your campus, this will increase the
chances of us getting some great students involved and contributing to
Sakai.

As google put it:

Google Summer of Code is a global program that offers student
developers stipends to write code for various open source software
projects. We have worked with several open source, free software, and
technology-related groups to identify and fund several projects over a
three month period. Since its inception in 2005, the program has
brought together nearly 2500 successful student participants and 2500
mentors from 98 countries worldwide, all for the love of code. Through
Google Summer of Code, accepted student applicants are paired with a
mentor or mentors from the participating projects, thus gaining
exposure to real-world software development scenarios and the
opportunity for employment in areas related to their academic
pursuits. In turn, the participating projects are able to more easily
identify and bring in new developers. Best of all, more source code is
created and released for the use and benefit of all.

Best,

Laura

--
Dr Laura James

Centre for Applied Research in Educational Technologies, University of
Cambridge
Direct: +44 (0) 1223 765 377        Mobile: +44 (0) 78 1234 6448
CARET, First floor, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge, CB2 1SB, UK
http://www.caret.cam.ac.uk