[Building Sakai] JDK 1.5 "end-of-service-life" date is October 30, 2009

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Mon Mar 16 16:35:38 PDT 2009

Well, sakai 2.5.3 compiles all fine for me under java 1.6, and I've been
running a sakai 1.5 compiled code our development server under a 1.6 JVM for
the past 6 months with nothing out of the ordinary occurring. The benchmarks
have 1.6 running a certain percentage faster on certain application (I think
for me sakai was starting up a few seconds faster) and the big one was that
it doesn't have the debugging where it can crash the server (under 1.5)
which makes it much better for development. I haven't actively ran a 1.6
compiled sakai under a 1.6 jvm lately though.

I have been using that tomcat workaround mentioned in Steven's post through
for the java_opt
-Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true

This conversion to 1.6 was tracked here without too much activity:
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/jira/browse/SAK-10716

I'll try to roll it out tomorrow and see how it looks, but it would probably
be worth having a QA server eventually running 1.6/1.6 to see how it goes as
the posts suggest.

I can volunteer one of the 2.5.x QA's if Pete wants.

-Matthew