[Building Sakai] 2.6 QA Push Needed

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed Mar 11 11:38:04 PDT 2009

It was not happening on my machine, but I looked at the one in
question here. I was puzzled as to why the evaluation of the template
is failing. It was tested with a clean Tomcat, local M2 repo, trunk
working copy, and database. Here's what I do know:

Line 113 in the ETSUserNotificationProviderImpl that evaluates the
notifyAddedParticipant.xml template (or something else that has the
same structure/conditional). I'm a bit confused about the FreeMarker-
in-XML method, but it is definitely with the conditional on line 6.
There is a string equality check between the variable
newNonOfficialAccount and the literal "true". For some reason, this
if-statement is being treated as an error, in that it does not
evaluate to a boolean, while boolean is expected. This doesn't make
much sense to me, but perhaps someone who knows more about the
FreeMarker technique used can help.

This is all wrapped up in a check at initialization time on the
notification templates. There is a check against auto.ddl, too. It's
unclear to me what this is all about or which parts should run every
time vs. when auto.ddl is on. Or when and why an error parsing an
email template should abort startup. Can someone clarify?

A fix for the symptom may be as simple as adding a true or false
literal to the replacementValues map so the parsing succeeds, but I
think this bit of code could use some commentary as to what the
business rules/assumptions/behaviors are. This could be a wicked
surprise for someone who botches a template tweak in production.

Thanks,
-Noah