[Building Sakai] New to Sakai

Malinda Linegar mlinegar at csc.edu
Mon Jun 15 12:35:38 PDT 2009

Hello all,

Here at Chadron State College we are just starting to use Sakai.  We are transferring from eCollege and have just started courses using the Sakai platform on June 8 as a trial.  I have a couple questions that I was hoping that you guys could answer for me to help us as we tread into unknown territory.  Do any of you have customized logs that you look at to verify users and courses have been loaded properly.  I am batch uploading information from our SIS for courses based on the maintenance date of the course instead of sending the entire list through.  That way our admins don't have such a huge list to look at.  Our admins have requested a more detailed log then what Sakai currently provides so that they can more easily verify information and troubleshoot issues.  Do any of you even use the provided logs and/or how do you verify information has been loaded correctly?

My second question has to do with terms.  We have several sessions within each of our main terms. So a main term for us is Fall 2009 and sessions would be A - 1st 8 wks, B - 2nd 8 wks, D - 1st 4 wks......  Our faculty do not want all sessions published at the same time so Sakai developers were looking into a Quartz Job Scheduler that would auto publish/unpublish based on course start/end date instead of term but it has recently been discovered that this function poses problems with performance so it will not be available or not in a couple months as they had originally anticipated.  How are guys handling publishing courses that start at a different time then others?  Are you just creating a separate term for each and using the term start/end dates as the flags or have you found a better way?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Malinda Linegar
Programmer Analyst
CSC Computer Services