[Building Sakai] Supporting files over 2G

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Fri Jun 5 08:40:37 PDT 2009

Hi Hugo,

I'd guess that's fine for student portfolios. We have default quotas of 100M for My Workspace, 200M for project sites, and 1G for course sites. We generally increase quotas on request but don't get a lot of requests to do so.

However, we are seeing increased numbers of requests for large files for media (audio/video) and recently someone wanted to put 3 DVD .iso images online.

Sakai is not necessarily the best platform for audio/video (e.g. a streaming server is better) but it seems reasonable to host .iso images or other large files (e.g. data sets) if necessary.

So the 2G limit seems an arbitrary one given the increases in LAN and Internet bandwidth nowadays.

Regards
Stephen

>>> "Hugo Jacobs" <hjacobs at loi.nl> 06/05/09 4:33 PM >>>
Hi Stephen,

In our learning environment we consider 100Mbyte enough for students to
build a portfolio. That limit has been established with 20000 students
in mind that might all use that amount of space. (2Tbyte in total)

What is your view on that? And, just curious, for how many students do
you have to cater?

Cheers Hugo

	Hugo Jacobs
	Business analist

e-mail: 	hjacobs at loi.nl
telefoon: 	+31 71 5451 305 of +31 6 1740 1131