[Building Sakai] Supporting files over 2G

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Fri Jun 5 04:36:39 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Having recently tried to upload via DAV a file of around 2.7G, I discovered that even if you fix an issue in dav which checks the Content-Length for no real reason, ContentHostingService treats the content length throughout as an int, as does the ServletResponse API (c/f http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4187336).

I'm sort of surprised that this 2G limit has been around for so long and continues to be around. Fixing it is not trivial but not impossible either. Should we do so, or do we subscribe to Sun's view that "2G is enough"? :-)

Cheers
Stephen

Stephen Marquard, Learning Technologies Co-ordinator
Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za
Email/IM/XMPP: stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Phone: +27-21-650-5037 Cell: +27-83-500-5290