[Building Sakai] Sakai course on CD

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 5 04:21:44 PDT 2009

In addition to other comments, this sounds like a slightly unusual
(from Sakai perspective), but very reasonable scenario for IMS Course
Cartridge support. If you could find or create a lightweight
distributable IMS Course Cartridge player and distribute/develop that,
then Sakai will be wanting to support Course Cartridge export (if we
don't already) as part of its archiving strategy. The reason I mention
this specification is that the scenario you outline seems very similar
to the Publisher use-cases that informed the development of the spec,
and distributing materials on CD that include content and assessment
is very similar to some of the online active textbook projects that
publishers are developing and distributing using the spec.

A key issue might be around expectations of communication back from
the system running the CD, about the activities and scores of the
student.

John

PS there are commercial Course Cartridge players.