[Building Sakai] K1 - uitils rationalization?

Nuno Fernandes nuno at ufp.edu.pt
Fri Jun 5 02:35:09 PDT 2009

+1

2009/6/5 Aaron Zeckoski <aaronz at vt.edu>

> Good idea.
> +1
> -AZ
>
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:05 AM, David Horwitz<david.horwitz at uct.ac.za>
> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I was looking at the utils classes in the K1 kernel and it strikes me
> > that we could do with some rationalization in this area to achieve:
> >
> > 1) Remove duplicated functionality
> > 2) Remove custom Sakai code that has the same functionality as standard
> > java classes (specifically Apache commons libraries)
> >

> > Some of the ones I noticed:
> >

> > 1) EmptyIterator - present in commons-collections
> > 2) Web.escapeJsQuotes & Validator.escapeJsQuoted() - duplicate code, in
> > commons-lang StringEscapeUtils, one marked deprecated and buggy (KNL-69)
> > 3) Validator.escapeSql in commons-lang StringEscapeUtils
> > 4) Validator.esapceJavascript in commons-lang StringEscapeUtils
> > 5) Validator.checkEmailLocal in commons-validator
> > 6) StringUtils.split - "Like jdk1.4's String.split..." the javadoc says
> > it all this is now in the jvm
> > 7) StringUtils.trimToNull & StringUtils.trimToEmpty
> >
> > This is just a quick survey and I'm sure there more. I Propose that we
> > start by marking all these as deprecated and point people the the
> > commons implementation. Thoughts?
> >

> > David

> Aaron Zeckoski (azeckoski (at) vt.edu)
> Senior Research Engineer - CARET - Cambridge University
> https://twitter.com/azeckoski - http://www.linkedin.com/in/azeckoski
> http://aaronz-sakai.blogspot.com/ -
> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/display/~aaronz/

Nuno Fernandes  [www.linkedin.com/in/nfgrilo]
Software Developer - UFP-UV  [Universidade Virtual]
Software Developer - Sakai Foundation  [sakaiproject.org]
Sakai Fellow 2008 - Sakai Foundation  [
confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/FIF9AQ]

Universidade Fernando Pessoa  [www.ufp.pt]
Praça 9 de Abril, 349
4249-004 Porto
tel: + 351 22 507 13 00