[Building Sakai] Discussion to Forum conversion question

Nuno Fernandes nuno at ufp.edu.pt
Wed Jun 3 02:37:39 PDT 2009

I Omer,
Ideally, you should truncate those fields to 255 chars and re-run the
conversion (only the remaining 5 sites will be processed).

Do you have the latest dicussion2forums project code? You can issue a "svn
up" on the project folder just to make sure (and compile and deploy if code
was updated). I am asking you this because in the latest code, the code
block that sets the topic shortDescription already checks the text length:

if(topicBody.length() <= 255){
    topic.setShortDescription(topicBody);
}else{
    topic.setExtendedDescription(topicBody);
}

Hope it helps,
Nuno

2009/6/2 Omer Piperdi <omer at rice.edu>

> During the Discussion to Forum conversion.. I got about 5 sites out of
> about 11000 sites not converted.. I can see the database error because of
> Discussion has longer description than Forum can hold..
>
> If I rerun the conversion (Quartz job) again, only those 5 sites will be
> converted or it will start all over again?
>
> Thanks
> Omer
>

> ------------
> ERROR: 'Discussion' --> 'Forums': failed to convert site CHIN 212 001 Sp08.
> Conversion for this site was aborted - check the errors in logs and re-run
> this conversion! (2009-06-02 14:46:30,386
> QuartzScheduler_Worker-3_org.sakaiproject.discforumsconv.ConversionImpl)
> org.springframework.jdbc.UncategorizedSQLException: Hibernate flushing:
> Could not execute JDBC batch update; uncategorized SQLException for SQL
> [insert into MFR_TOPIC_T (VERSION, UUID, CREATED, CREATED_BY, MODIFIED,
> MODIFIED_BY, DEFAULTASSIGNNAME, TITLE, SHORT_DESCRIPTION,
> EXTENDED_DESCRIPTION, MODERATED, MUTABLE, SORT_INDEX, TYPE_UUID,
> of_surrogateKey, pf_surrogateKey, LOCKED, DRAFT, CONFIDENTIAL_RESPONSES,
> MUST_RESPOND_BEFORE_READING, HOUR_BEFORE_RESPONSES_VISIBLE, GRADEBOOK,
> GRADEBOOK_ASSIGNMENT, TOPIC_DTYPE, ID) values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?,
> ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, 'DT', ?)]; SQL state [72000]; error
> code [12899]; ORA-12899: value too large for column
> "SAKAIPROD"."MFR_TOPIC_T"."SHORT_DESCRIPTION" (actual: 361, maximum: 255)
> ; nested exception is java.sql.BatchUpdateException: ORA-12899: value too
> large for column "SAKAIPROD"."MFR_TOPIC_T"."SHORT_DESCRIPTION" (actual: 361,
> maximum: 255)

Nuno Fernandes  [www.linkedin.com/in/nfgrilo]
Software Developer - UFP-UV  [Universidade Virtual]
Software Developer - Sakai Foundation  [sakaiproject.org]
Sakai Fellow 2008 - Sakai Foundation  [
confluence.sakaiproject.org/confluence/x/FIF9AQ]

Universidade Fernando Pessoa  [www.ufp.pt]
Praça 9 de Abril, 349
4249-004 Porto
tel: + 351 22 507 13 00