[Building Sakai] Suggested patch to kernel K1 / tool dispatching

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Thu Jul 30 10:14:05 PDT 2009

Hello, kernel team and friends.

We have done some work to enable an extension point in the portal's
Tool dispatching mechanism. I have created a ticket, KNL-238 to
capture the need and patch.

This is my favorite kind of patch, where it doesn't look like much
and doesn't change default behavior, but allows for clean (open-
closed) extension. There was quite a bit of work to find a good place
to extend, scrubbing through the Portal, PortalService, ToolHandler,
ToolManager and others, and it turned out that there is a simple,
"right" place to do it.

There is more information on the ticket and I would like to spur
conversation about this approach and a possible merge to K1.

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-238

Thanks,
-Noah