[Building Sakai] Search warnings

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Mon Jul 20 07:39:49 PDT 2009

Sean Keesler wrote:

> This instance runs and runs...no shutdowns here...and otherwise
> it behaves as expected...just an annoying warning I want to get
> rid of. I have data in there that I don't want to blow away
> with a fresh db...but I don't care if I blow away search
> indices. WHat is the right procedure to do just that?

I have been systematically rebuilding the search indexes after
restarts on my 2.5.x server. I usually do this (based on info
feom UCT):

1) Blow away everything in the shared search directory
(sharedJournalBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings)

2) Blow away everything in the local segments directory
(localIndexBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings)

3) Clear the data from the search-related database tables:

delete from search_journal;
delete from search_node_status;
delete from search_segments;
delete from search_transaction;
delete from searchbuilderitem;
delete from searchwriterlock;

You have to kick off a manual rebuild of your entire index after
startup, but it works.

Seth