[Building Sakai] jQuery 1.1.4 > 1.3.2 Upgrade for 2.7?

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 15 17:34:22 PDT 2009

Hi folks,
Every time that I notice that the Portal is using jQuery 1.1.4, I
cringe. This version, while very stable, is very old (August 2007).
The current version is 1.3.2 released in Feb 2009. This version is
also very stable and much, much faster.

I'd like to suggest that we upgrade to 1.3.2 for 2.7. By the time
there may be jQuery 1.4 or even the mythical jQuery 2.0 but even 1.3.2
would be a huge step forward.

There is usually a fair amount of backwards compatibility in jQuery.
However, this is a big jump and I suspect that there will be some
issues. I'm happy to take responsibility for any portal problems that
emerge.

The bigger issue is what to do with bugs that come up in tools that
might be utilizing /library/js/jquery.js. That is a bigger risk.

Any thoughts?

- Eli

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer