[Building Sakai] Sakai displaying Student ID Numbers

Robert Taylor rgtaylor at cs.uvic.ca
Wed Jul 15 15:20:40 PDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I have been attempting to configure our Sakai implementation to load
Student ID Numbers as their displayId using the JLDAP provider, and so
far haven't had a lot of success.   I was hoping someone might have some
additional pointers for me.

So far, I have updated the jldap-beans.xml and added an a new
attributeMapping property in for the key name "displayId" to map to my
StudentID attribute in LDAP.

 From what I have read in the readme, this should add a new User
Resource Properties name-value pair and my hope was that it would be
enough to return an non-null value for User.getDisplayId - but so far I
have had no luck.

If someone has a partial example jldap-beans.xml file with a mapping for
displayId, or any references on how to configure Sakai to recognize a
displayId mapped from LDAP,  that would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert Taylor
Senior System Administrator
Department of Computer Science
University of Victoria
rgtaylor at cs.uvic.ca

On 7/8/09 4:00 PM, Zhen Qian wrote:
> Robert:
>
> This seems to be related to SAK-2924: Institutionally Configurable student
> ID is needed.(http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-2924)
>
> So in your JLDAP provider, you need to provide the information for both
> user eid and display id, like for user John Doe, his display id is
> "123456", which would then be shown in the Site Info tool's id column, and
> his eid is "jdoe", which is shown next to display name column, user
> presence list, and used in authentication process.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Zhen
>
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 14:31:33 -0700, Robert Taylor<rgtaylor at cs.uvic.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> We would like to populate the participant_id field in the Site Info
>> Participant list with Students ID Numbers - currently the field shows up
>> empty.
>>
>> Our enrollments are currently populated using the CMS API, and our
>> authentication is being done with the JLDAP provider.  We have the data
>> available in both our SIS as well as our LDAP authentication systems and
>> have been looking for a LDAP mapping or an API call that we can use to
>> populate it.
>>
>> I have seen some screen captures from other Universities that have the
>> field populated, but I haven't been able to find any information on how
>> we would go about it.
>>
>> Since Faculty submit their grades using the student ID numbers (not
>> their loginID's), it would be really handy to have the data available
>> within Sakai.
>>
>> If anyone has any tips or pointers on how we could get started, we would
>> appreciate the assistance.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Robert
>>
>> --