[Building Sakai] Escape from Hyatt Regency!

Ray Davis ray at media.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 7 10:56:09 PDT 2009

(Of interest only to those at SAKAI09; others please excuse the noise.)

Like me, you may have marveled at the geographical and mathematical
ingenuity that went into maximizing the distance to every restaurant,
coffee shop, bar, and grocery store in the greater Boston area. For
those who've been staring glumly at their Google Maps routes, here's
some slight relief: Eli Cohen found an unknown-to-Google shortcut to
Central Square and civilization.

1. As usual, walk in front of the cars trying to enter and exit the
garage to get to Vassar St. and then start walking northeast as if
you're going to Mass Ave.

2. You'll see a police station on your left. Cross the street, walk past
the police station.

3. Keep your eyes open and you'll see a pedestrian path through the
parking lot on your left. Take it, and you'll reach a fenced-in park.

4. Go around the park (doesn't matter which side), and you'll be on
Waverly St.

5. Go right on Waverly St., walk up to Erie St., turn left, and you'll
be better positioned to walk pretty much anywhere else.

Mike Osterman kindly made an attempt to sketch this out based on my

http://skitch.com/ostermmg/bs4id/525-memorial-drive-cambridge-ma-google-maps

The sketch _might_ be showing the escape path a bit farther north than
it is, but you'll be able to find it once you look for it.

Best,
Ray