[Building Sakai] SIPFoundry Interest?

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Sun Jul 5 04:59:41 PDT 2009

I'd be interested in talking more about this at the conference - maybe a BOF on Thursday sometime?

Cheers
Stephen

>>> Michael Korcuska <mkorcuska at sakaifoundation.org> 7/5/2009 1:55 PM >>>
Greetings,

I just had a brief conversation with Martin Steinmann, board member of
SIPFoundry, a not0-for-profit supporting an open source SIP project (http://www.sipfoundry.org
). They make sipXecs.  Martin says this about the product:

> Think of sipXecs as an open source version of Microsoft OCS. It is
> stronger on the telephony / IP PBX side as compared to OCS, and
> provides IM/Presence integration. sipXecs inciorporates the Openfire
> XMPP IM server including federation into many other IM systems. We
> are also working on close integration with Skype, Google (Gmail,
> Gtalk), as well as Zimbra. Open source license used by sipXecs is L-
> GPL.

They are looking for possibilities to integrate Sakai with sipXecs.
Typically such integration is done using Web Services. sipXecs is a
fully standards based SIP system and integration could offer click-to-
call, click-to-conference, presence and buddy list integration,
federation of presence and IM, voicemail, unified messaging, and voice
conferencing services, softphones, video calls and conferencing,
integration with Web conferencing (i.e. DimDim). Their Wiki includes a
lot of technical info:  http://wiki.sipxecs.org.

Has anyone thought about doing an integration like this with Sakai?

If there is any interest, Martin is in Boston and could come by the
conference on Thursday to meet.  Feel free to contact me or, better
yet, reach out directly to Martin (cc'ed here).

Thanks.

--
Michael Korcuska
Executive Director, Sakai Foundation