[Building Sakai] Help needed converting resource storage to filesystem

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:16:50 PST 2009

I'm embarking on moving resources out of the database and into the
filesystem. I've read related messages in this list and
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-164, but I'd like to form a
more complete picture of the process.

I ran a conversion script to deal with the binary/xml entity body
issue, and then set the convertToFile, bodyPath, and bodyVolumes
properties. The results were disappointing so I'd like to get a deeper
understanding of what needs to be done and why.

What happened was this: When running the conversion script, a lot of
messages like the following were printed:

WARN [main] (SchemaConversionController.java:208) -   --> Source is
null for id: /attachment/200910-3317-WRI-116-001/Assignments/....

219106 of those messages were printed. For comparison, the
content_resource table has 182655 rows.

Then I set the three properties in sakai.properties and started Sakai.
It worked for quite a while, printing messages like the following:

2009-12-09 21:23:55,918  WARN main
org.sakaiproject.content.impl.DbContentService - convertToFile(): null
xml :

547947 lines like that appeared in the log. No files or subdirectories
were created in the directory designated in bodyPath.

The command to run the conversion script:

bash content-runconversion.sh.COLUMBIA -j
/local/pkg/sak/sakai/tomcat/common/lib/ojdbc14.jar -p
sakai/tomcat/sakai/local.properties -k 1.0.11 -s 2.6.0
ucmcrops/kernel/tools/content-conversion/upgradeschema-oracle.config >
conversion_export.log 2>&1 &

I attached the conversion script.

Hopefully I haven't wiped out the resources... it will be a hassle to
export another copy to test this on.

Josh