[Building Sakai] Lab Evaluation Tool

Christopher Covington cov at vt.edu
Tue Dec 8 21:35:13 PST 2009

I've taken up the task of making the Computer Engineering Lab at
Virginia Tech paperless. Ideally, I feel like working from within Sakai
would be the best way to do this.

The essential component is a quiz/test-like tool but one a teaching
assistant would fill out for a student, rather than the student filling
it out for herself. Additionally, the identifying information for the
gradebook (i.e. exact class section) will have to be looked up from the
student number, so that we can just swipe a magnetic card for
identification.

Have I overlooked functionality that already does this?

I have to complete this project in under 100 hours and have it
completely integrated and deployed by the end of January. Is Sakai tool
development straightforward enough to be worth it for this task? Setting
up the build environment shouldn't be difficult but I haven't written
much Java since high school. Would a LAMP application that spit out CSV
to be imported into Sakai be a more efficient means to our goals?

Is there existing code I should re-use either as a component of a new
tool or as the base tool to extend?

Is there some quick hack to existing features like exporting "multiple
attempts" of the TA on a SAMigo assessment, fixing up each attempt to
belong to the student it was about with a script, and re-importing the
information to each student?

Do folks think a tool like this might be useful at additional
institutions? Is anyone interested in collaborating?

Thanks,
Christopher Covington

President, Linux and Unix Users Group at Virginia Tech
http://vtluug.org/wiki/Linux_and_Unix_Users_Group

Computer Engineering, Virginia Tech, Class of 2011