[Building Sakai] Promoting non-provided users to being provided

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 31 08:28:20 PDT 2009

Is this a good time to ask about general assumptions? What I have in
mind is that the SIS provision could simply be regarded as providing
information (who is registered for the course) and how that
information is processed could be variable by site policy. So you
could have a 'strict' membership policy which means only those with
current membership in the external provider have access, a 'loose'
policy that means all who have ever been added to the course are
visible with an indication of registration status and the site owner
manually maintains active status or responds to changes in
registration status, and 'intermediate' which automatically de-
activates or activates a registered status and access but leaves
historic information for manual intervention. It could be an
institutional configuration option to enforce a site membership policy
for all sites of a certain type (or not).

This is probably not the best scheme, but I have often wondered what a
good general solution would look like.

John