[Building Sakai] [WG: Sakai QA] Jira process clarificationand modification - "Target Version"

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Sat Aug 22 00:13:50 PDT 2009

I think we should consider the possibility that if people are confused, it's not because the process is imprecise, but that it has not been clearly explained or presented.

So one option is to focus on clearer communication rather than going back to square 1 with the process. Personally I don't find the current JIRA practice at all ambiguous or confusing when it's used correctly.

Regards
Stephen

>>> Pete Peterson <plpeterson at ucdavis.edu> 8/22/2009 1:16 AM >>>
Genuflecting,

OK, I think we can safely state that we are going to postpone adding the "Target Version/s" field, at least for the time being. Instead, as Michael suggests we are going to spend some time mapping out in simple terms where we are and where we might go (workflow, fields, etc). So in essence focus on the first part of my initial email...

"We have received many comments expressing confusion concerning the current Jira implementation.   We are in the process of reviewing Jira and workflow schemas, simplifying and clarifying the intake forms, and evaluating suggestion received from Jira users. We are always looking for additional feedback, suggestions and comments, so please send us any ideas you may have. In the next few months we will accumulate and organize the results and post them to the Sakai community for review."

...and we'll tackle changes after we have some more concise and clear models to evaluate.

PLEASE, continue the intellectual exchange and discussions, because all of the ideas being vetted here are "gold Jerry" (Seinfeld)!

Thanks to everyone for the timely feedback; enjoy the weekend,

Pete

PS: I created a confluence space "JIRA Modification Planning - 2009" (http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/pArtAw), where we can post and review the ideas and proposals. I'll be extracting the ideas and posting what we have so far soon.