[Building Sakai] Load test of Sakai

Daniel Lind Daniel.Lind at umdac.umu.se
Thu Aug 20 00:40:40 PDT 2009

Hi!

We're investigating the limitations of Sakai when it comes to capacity of users. We have created some test plans in JMeter where users are taking tests consisting of 25 questions (multiple choice, true/false and Short answer) in Test&Quizzes. When we run this test we have come to these conclusions:

One Tomcat: Maximum of 430 simultaneous users from two JMeter instances.
Two Tomcat (on the same server): Maximum of 630 users from two JMeter instances.

When I say max it means the response times are way too long to be acceptable (connect >2s and response >10s).

We are running all the test on only one single server with these specs:
RedHat 5
Linux kernel 2.6
MySQL 5.0
Sakai 2.5.3
10GB RAM
Intel Xeon 2.5GHz Quad-core

+ tuning in MySQL, Tomcat and Sakai

Have anyone else done these kinds of tests? What are your experiences?

Kind regards,
Daniel Lind

Daniel Lind
UMDAC, Umeå universitet