[Building Sakai] Out of date Eclipse files

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Wed Aug 19 10:35:25 PDT 2009

Overseeing the 2.6.0 release branch, I generated Eclipse meta data
files diligently every time we generated a new kernel release (a not
insignificant set of releases).  I did not find the task overly
onerous nor did I find the output generated after running mvn
eclipse:clean eclipse:eclipse different from what I expected.  I
Jira'd the task and David Horwitz, the 2.6.x branch manager (or myself
if he was unavailable) refreshed the 2.6.x branch (not counting
1.0.11)--again not an onerous task, but one which is not recommended
as a best practice.  Eclipse meta data files contain data that is
largely relevant to local workspaces and as such, in the opinion of
many, should not be managed in source control.

Speculating on what the silent majority expects is to me a problematic
exercise.  One could assert the adoption of best practices is what the
silent majority desires.  One could equally assert that like Garth
Algar (Wayne's World) the silent majority fears change and we should
just keep doing what we are doing.

For me, the sakai-dev mailing lists exists to elicit opinion, comment,
suggestions, advice and criticism on matters such as these and
silence, whatever the motive, is defined by our Apache-inspired "lazy
consensus" model as assent.

Cheers,

Anth