[Building Sakai] !important css properties in sakai

Sean Keesler sean.keesler at threecanoes.com
Tue Aug 18 16:52:17 PDT 2009

I just did a bit of work skinning sakai and noticed a lot of "!important"
properties in the css files.

When I read about !important declarations, I see that it was used sometimes
to fix IE 6 bugs in rendering pages.
It also (if I understand it) will override local user defined stylesheet
properties, unless their local stylesheet declares their settings to be
!important as well.

I see that IE 6 is no longer a supported browser for Sakai, so I wonder if
we need to have !important declarations any more (It seems to render fine
for me in IE7 without them) and whether that actually gives any more local
control (or make it easier to do so) to end users to style Sakai for and
make it more accessible.

Sean Keesler
130 Academy Street
Manlius, New York 13104 USA