[Building Sakai] Comment on installing Melete -- and hibernate_unique_key.next_hi

will at serensoft.com will at serensoft.com
Sun Aug 16 19:22:53 PDT 2009

Comment about installing Melete (v2.6 in Sakai 2.6.x)... "manual SQL"
requires an extra CREATE TABLE and INSERT INTO:

The instructions at http://etudes.org/release/melete/install-guide.htm mention:
"You can... run the sql script manually; it is provided under
/components/src/sql/mysql/melete25.sql"

FYI -- We used components/src/sql/mysql/melete26.sql instead

When when we did that, installed Melete and restarted Tomcat, we ran
into errors:
2009-08-16 20:36:09,682 ERROR http-8080-Processor25
org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter - Table
'sakai_2_6_x.hibernate_unique_key' doesn't exist

After we issued

create table hibernate_unique_key ( next_hi long );
insert into hibernate_unique_key values ( 0 );

All was well. Perhaps when using auto.ddl to create the tables,
everything is grand as is, but the manual-sql process requires that
this table be created (and populated) as well.

===

Is hibernate_unique_key.next_hi the best approach here? From the DBM
perspective, isn't auto_increment a more robust approach for assigning
unique IDs?

--
will trillich
"Tis the set of the sails / And not the gales / That tells the way we