[Building Sakai] Multiple LDAP servers? -- fallback for Sakai

will at serensoft.com will at serensoft.com
Thu Aug 13 14:33:10 PDT 2009

So according to our research (see below) for Sakai 2.6.x it's a quick
matter of editing jldap-beans.xml and listing multiple LDAP servers
separated by spaces:

<property name="ldapHost">
   <value>10.1.2.3  10.5.5.5  10.9.8.7</value>
  <!-- could also use DNS names of course -->
</property>

That is, as long as the different LDAP servers are
clones/mirrors/failovers, this is the paradigm to use.

Right?

If so, here's a follow-up question: Does this round-robin the LDAP
servers, or only check #n when #n-1 is kaput?

===

Just want to confirm that the following thread is valid for 2.6.x (May
of 2009 is pretty recent, but better to know than to guess, eh?):

http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2009-May/001645.html
or http://tinyurl.com/ku5cq6 for short

(Yes, we ran into an instance where Sakai just wouldn't play nice with
the primary LDAP server, altho all other indications were that the
LDAP server was fine -- we pointed Sakai to a redundant LDAP backup
server and all was well again...)

--
will trillich
"Tis the set of the sails / And not the gales / That tells the way we