[Building Sakai] SSL Email

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Tue Aug 11 17:21:39 PDT 2009

Currently there's no easy way to do this. The BasicEmailService in the
kernel doesn't have any way to do SSL as you'd have to setup a
keystore location and a few other settings. It doesn't look like it
would be too difficult set this up to use a JNDI source like it
describes when setting up JIRA, as it uses javax.mail.Session. This
would probably make more sense than adding more properties to this.
You'd probably just need to set up a property on which config to use,
add a bean+definition for the jndi source and a little code in the
Service.

http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/latest/smtpconfig.html

When I get caught up, I was going to do a write up on confluence and
do some more testing on how to switch the sakai database connection to
use jndi. It allows you to more easily swap around database pools,
adjust database settings and test other apps in the same app server
that aren't integrated into sakai. Most of what I did locally was
based off of

http://aiteephonehome.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html

-Matthew