[Building Sakai] Experienc with SAK-1525 (restoring deleted files)

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 4 02:07:44 PDT 2009

We use Restore with no problems.

However, we believe it only solves 0.3333 (recurring) of the problem!

There are 3 ways to lose stuff.

 1/ delete by mistake
 2/ delete via webDAV by mistake
 3/ use 'upload new version' but accidently select the wrong file to
replace.

#2 is less likely but I believe #3 is something that could easily happen.

To attack #3 we were thinking of adding some cunning JavaScript that warns
you if the file name you are replacing is different from the filename that
you are uploading. This seems like an easy but rough fix, except we haven't
got around to it yet.

I think Columbia were looking at #2 but I haven't heard anything about this
for a while now. (Maneesha Aggarwal was the person I was talking to).

There's also another (really bad) way of losing content centred around
editing an HTML page 'in-place'. If you choose the "Edit Content" option for
an HTML page, do some changes but before saving, visit the Resources tool in
the same site, then all edits are silently lost when you press save. This
has hit me a couple of times and I think it's quite a big issue - after all
it's a fairly common think to do, especially if you want to copy some HTML
from one document into another. An auto-save would help reduce the problem,
better still would be to fix the underlying issue!

Adam