[Building Sakai] Best practices for institutional vs. outside users

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 13:34:41 PDT 2009

I would like to hear about solutions that are being used to
accommodate both internal and external users in Sakai. At UC Merced we
have a solution that could use some improvement. It would be nice to
hear what has and hasn't worked for other people.

We use CAS for internal users, and they view Sakai through a portal.
So they tend to log in before ever viewing Sakai, and since Sakai
accepts their CAS credentials, they don't often see Sakai's login
page.

Our Sakai login page has two options. First is a large "Login" button
for "internal" users which directs them to the CAS login server.

Second is a control for "external users" that displays a standard
userid plus password login form.

The main problem is that external users often don't see the Sakai-only
login form, and press login, and they end up at our CAS server which
is no use to them.

Josh