[Building Sakai] Thoughts from MySQL conference

Kyong Kim kimkyong at fhda.edu
Tue Apr 21 22:15:03 PDT 2009

I've been attending MySQL conference for the past couple of days and there
are some interesting thoughts percolating in my head.

Percona recently released XtraDB which is enhanced InnoDB built to take
better advantage of multi-core systems. For multi-core I/O bound workload,
it seems there's fair improvement.
http://groups.drupal.org/node/18524
Not sure if it's production ready but Percona guys are pretty smart and
it's worth a look.

For those who have upgraded from MySQL 4.x to 5.x, did anyone benchmark
InnoDB performance before and after the upgrade and complete table
rebuilds? According to MySQL, the new InnoDB table format resulted in 20%
disk/memory savings.

Is anyone using rotating master-slave setup to perform regular table
maintenance? It seems like this is something a lot of folks are doing in
production in MySQL community.

Has anyone transitioned from mechanical drives to SSD in production? I
spoke to several folks who were gushing about their workloads becoming I/O
to CPU bound.

Are others using 5.1 partitioning or engine conversion (InnoDB to
compressed MyISAM) to deal with archiving of events/sessions rows?

There are some exciting developments in the community. Hopefully, Oracle
won't just kill it now that they own it. :)

Kyong
Inst. Web Programmer
CMDBA 5.0