[Building Sakai] support for netbeans

Mark Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 10 06:28:29 PDT 2009

As Aaron pointed out, you don't HAVE to use Eclipse, though many in
Sakai do.  If you want to use NetBeans, download the Sakai source code
and build it using Maven.  Then import the source code you need into
NetBeans.  You're going to have to track down dependencies on JARs and
bring them in manually, too.  That done, you should be able to use your
IDE to edit and compile changes to the source.  However, I would
STRONGLY advise that you run Maven outside of NetBeans (etc) to deploy
your changed code before testing/debugging it.  There are things that
happen in Maven that most IDEs won't know about, like deploying Sakai
components.

In my work, I either use Eclipse (which is great once you get it all set
up) or I edit the source files using a plain old text editor (I used
TextPad) and then compile/deploy using Maven.  It's not as efficient as
Eclipse (or another IDE) since I have to correct dumb syntax errors
myself (rather than the IDE catching them when entered), but for small
projects or quick changes, it can be much simpler than getting the whole
IDE environment set up.  This is especially true when you work with
multiple versions of Sakai or branches.

FWIW,
Mark Norton