[Building Sakai] Google App Engine now supports Java

Steven Githens swgithen at mtu.edu
Wed Apr 8 07:11:45 PDT 2009

It's a good time too, to start pondering the remaining holes in the
stack that need OSS replacements so we don't have to depend on Google
The Company down the road.  For at least the Python stack, most of the
supported app-engine libraries were pretty standard stuff, except for
like the Datastore.  Some R&D into things like Hypertable (OSS Bigtable
impl) and other OSS distributed datastores would be sweet.  It would be
very cool to drop bundles of various Sakai functionality (probably not
the entire thing we have now) into AppEngine Compatible containers you
can throw into racks all over the place.

It's very cool too, that they are being awesome and also focusing on the
JVM as a technology and not just the language.  As noted on the Jython
Developers list this morning (from the appengine java release notes):

"""

- Jython 2.2 works out of the box.
- Jython 2.5 requires patches which we'll supply until the changes
make it directly into Jython:
  - jython-r5996-patched-for-appengine.jar is the complete jython
binary library, patched for app engine
  - jython-r5996-appengine.patch is the patch file that contains the
source code for the changes
"""

I'm sure there is similar work done from Google for JRuby and other
things well ( haven't got a chance to read them all myself yet ).

Megacheers!
Steve