[Building Sakai] Encrypt password on sakai user

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Tue Apr 7 13:04:39 PDT 2009

If you want to just create users rather than using webservices you can
also use a newer entitybroker. You'd need to compile it for 2.5.x to
get one that exposes more entities. Then you can do it all with curl
or whatever programming language you like through rest requests. It's
already available in 2.6.

(https://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn/entitybroker/tags/) The tags
entitybroker-1.3.5 and entitybroker-1.3.6 are 2.5.x compatible.

#Authenticate into your sakai session as an admin
curl -v -k -c cookies.txt -b cookies.txt -d "eid=admin" -d "pw=admin"
https://<your sakai url>/portal/xlogin
#Verify you logged in correctly (Should say displayId as admin)
curl -v -k -c cookies.txt -b cookies.txt https://<your sakai
url>/direct/user/current.xml
#Perform other activities, such as creating a user testuser with the
password testpassword
curl -v -k -c cookies.txt -b cookies.txt -d "eid=testuser" -d
"password=testpassword"  https://<your sakai url>/direct/user/new

Other possibility and entities you can POST/GET/PUT are at /direct

Normally though the base provider in the user tool is encoding the
passwords, though using some api (EB/webservices) is the way to go.