[Building Sakai] Failure to start Sakai 2.6.0 Beta03

Robert Taylor rgtaylor at cs.uvic.ca
Fri Apr 3 09:39:12 PDT 2009

Hello Kalpit,

That looks like the exact same error I am receiving in my attempt to get
"Sakai3 Milestone 1" up and running which I sent in an email about
yesterday.

As a note to the group, is there a new installation step that has been
added to the install process for 2.6+ that didn't exist for 2.5?

I notice that there is some discussion in confluence about a new
sakai-configuration.xml file which seems to include bean definitions in
it that has been added to version 2.6+, but there is no mention of it in
the official installation instructions for 2.6 or 3.0.

Is this the step that Kalpit and I are missing?

Thanks,

Robert.

Kalpit Desai wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a new and excited member of the Sakai family. I am also a novice
> in the Java world. I am trying to deploy a development environment for
> Sakai on my WinXP machine. I have successfully built Sakai 2.6.0Beta03
> with maven (0 errors during build/deploy). However, when I try to run
> it, catalina fails to start. From looking at the Catalina logs, below
> seems to be the fatal error:
>
> ..."Cannot resolve reference to bean
> 'org.sakaiproject.component.SakaiProperties' while setting bean
> property 'sakaiProperties'; nested exception is
> org.springframework.beans.factory.NoSuchBeanDefinitionException: No
> bean named 'org.sakaiproject.component.SakaiProperties' is defined"...
>
> Can someone guide me as to what this error means?
> Before running Sakai, I did put the default sakai.properties file
> (that came with the source) under Tomcat/Sakai/ directory. I have
> attached the complete log herewith.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> Kalpit

believed to be clean.