[Building Sakai] Students able to access "hidden" resources

Jacob Reinelt jjreinel at vmaile.svsu.edu
Thu Apr 2 11:25:42 PDT 2009

All,

An issue was recently brought to my attention and I was unable to find any history on it so I'm passing it on to the list on the chance that someone has encountered the issue and knows of a patch and that this is fixed in future releases.

When there is a student in a course and they have "read" permission they are still able to access files that the instructor has chosen to mark as hidden. To re-create this issue just do the following:
1. Log into a course where you have read only rights and there is a folder with hidden documents
2. To the right of the folder select "Copy" from the drop down menu
3. Using the "Show more sites" paste the folder into your "My Workspace"

You now have access to all of the documents even the hidden ones. My initial reaction to handle this is to just remove the copy ability but wanted to make sure that other institutions know of this issue and if they have encountered it how they chose to handle it. Currently running Sakai 2.5.4.

Jacob Reinelt

Open Source Programmer/Analyst
Saginaw Valley State University
Zahnow 202-A