[Building Sakai] Error uploading resources

Steve Swinsburg s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Apr 2 02:26:01 PDT 2009

Hi Emiliano,

Can you navigate on the filesystem to ${sakai.home}content/ and see
some folders in there. If you add new resources they should show up in
the folder structure in there? Just want to confirm that it's not
storing in the DB any more.

I'm not sure if you need it, but have you specified -Dsakai.home=/path/
to/your/sakai.properties/ in your JAVA_OPTS? I have it set and points
to the directory that contains my sakai.properties file. It has a
trailing slash on it, so that is why I have set $sakai.home}content/
with no slash in between. When resources are then uploaded they live
in the 'content' folder at the same level as my sakai.properties.

Take a look and see if the path's match up.

cheers,
Steve

---
Steve Swinsburg
Portal Systems Developer
Centre for e-Science
Lancaster University
Lancaster
LA1 4YT

email: s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk
phone: +44 (0) 1524 594870

On 2 Apr 2009, at 10:07, Emiliano Jankowski wrote:

> [...]
> {sakai.home}content/
>
> # when storing content hosting's body bits in files, an optional set
> of folders just within the bodyPath -
> # to act as volumes to distribute the files among - a comma separate
> list of folders.  If left out, no volumes will be used.
> # see the readme file (2.2.7 File Based Content Hosting) for more
> details
> bodyVolumes at org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService =
> vol1,vol2,vol3
>

> and potentially this one the first time around if you want to
> convert from DB to filesystem when you next start up:
>
> #convertToFile at org.sakaiproject.content.api.ContentHostingService =
> true
>

> cheers,
> Steve
>
> ---
> Steve Swinsburg
> Portal Systems Developer
> Centre for e-Science
> Lancaster University
> Lancaster
> LA1 4YT
>
> email: s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk
> phone: +44 (0) 1524 594870
>

> On 1 Apr 2009, at 11:52, Emiliano Jankowski wrote:
>
>> Oh yes! I've checked the files and you are correct! And It is
>> possible to not save the documents into the database, and do that
>> in the file system? Is it just a config option in sakai?
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Steve Swinsburg <s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk
>> > wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> are you storing content in the database as opposed to the
>> filesystem? Is it MySQL? By default MySQL has a 1Mb limit it can
>> store as binary. You need to adjust the max_allowed_packet from
>> 1048576 (ie 1Mb) to be something higher.
>>
>> See here: http://steve-on-sakai.blogspot.com/2008/11/sakai-mysql-and-storing-content-in.html
>>
>> That, or check the memory assigned to your JVM in JAVA_OPTS (post
>> them here) as you are running out of resources:
>>
>> From the Javadoc: ServerOverloadException is thrown whenever a
>> request cannot be completed at this time due to some critical
>> resource of the server being in too short supply.
>>

>> cheers,
>> Steve
>>
>> ---
>> Steve Swinsburg
>> Portal Systems Developer
>> Centre for e-Science
>> Lancaster University
>> Lancaster
>> LA1 4YT
>>
>> email: s.swinsburg at lancaster.ac.uk
>> phone: +44 (0) 1524 594870
>>

>> On 1 Apr 2009, at 11:42, Emiliano Jankowski wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there! I'm having an strange error when I try to upload a
>>> resource in "My workspace"
>>> I've uploaded 4 ppt, when I want to add one more I have " Alerta:
>>> Unable to add item: TRABAJO EN EQUIPO (2).ppt" and in catalina.out
>>> I have
>>>

>>> WARN: failed to write file from byte-array to database (2009-04-01
>>> Processor10_org.sakaiproject.content.impl.DbContentService)

>>> http://provincianito.blogspot.com/